Dr Ruth Bancewicz is Church Engagement Director at the Faraday Institute, where her remit is to equip and encourage UK churches to include engagement with science as part of their regular ministry and mission. She studied Genetics at Aberdeen and Edinburgh Universities, and (more recently) Theology, Ministry and Mission at Spurgeons College and Ridley Hall. Her first professional foray into the world of science and faith was a part- time post as the Development Officer for Christians in Science, at the same time as working as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Edinburgh University. She moved to Cambridge to join the Faraday Institute when it was founded in 2006, to develop resources for churches – the first of which were the Test of FAITH materials. Ruth was appointed as the Faraday Church Engagement Director in 2018. She remains a member of Christians in Science, and is an elected Fellow of their US counterpart, the American Scientific Affiliation. She is a member of City Church Cambridge.
Selected Publications in Science and Religion
- Wonders of the Living World: Curiosity, awe and the meaning of life (Lion Hudson, 2021)
- ‘How Does Science Enhance Faith?’ in Science and Faith: Student Questions Explored, Hannah Eagleson, Massachusetts (Hendrickson, 2019)
- ‘A Symphony of Science and Scripture’ in The Infographic Bible, Karen Sawrey (William Collins, 2018)
- ‘The Scientist-Believer: Following Christ as we uncover the wonders of the living world’ in Christ and the Created Order: Perspectives from Theology, Philosophy and Science, Volume 2, Andrew B. Torrance & Thomas H. McCall (eds.) (Zondervan Academic, 2018)
- God in the Lab: How science enhances faith, (Monarch, 2015)
- ‘Test of FAITH: Spiritual Journeys with Scientists’, (Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2009; Oregon: Wipf & Stock, 2011; Viçosa: Ultimato, 2013; Madrid: Fleidner Foundation, 2014; Lisbon: Logos Editions, 2015)
- Yeyati PL, Bancewicz RM, Maule J, van Heyningen V. PLoS Genetics 2007 Mar 30;3(3):e43. Epub 2007 Feb 8. Hsp90 selectively modulates phenotype in vertebrate development.
- D Kleinjan*, RM Bancewicz.*, et al. Subfunctionalisation of duplicated zebrafish pax6 genes by cis-regulatory divergence. PLoS Genetics 2008 Feb;4(2):e29.(*These authors contributed equally to this work)