The outer hexagonal shape of the framework represents bicarburet of hydrogen which Faraday discovered and purified in 1825. (The chemical was renamed benzene by Eilhard Mitscherlich in 1833 and its structure solved by Kekulé about 30 years later.)
The inner circle with the gap at the top represents the experimental apparatus with which Faraday discovered the magneto-optical effect following the 1845 meeting of the British Association in Cambridge.
The globe is intended to represent the many peoples and religions which it is hoped will be attracted to the Institute.
The logo was designed by Dr Ed Munn whose art work, OneLinerImages may be seen at www.OneLinerImages.co.uk.