5:30 pm Friday 2nd February – 4:15 pm Sunday 4th February 2024
Do you enjoy thinking about the interactions of science and Christian faith?
Would you like to spend a weekend developing your skills in communicating about
these ideas alongside other like-minded individuals?
This course could be for you!
This course is hosted by The Faraday Institute for Science and Religion (Youth and Schools Programme and Church Engagement Director), with input from an array of UK and international groups and individuals.
We believe that the world needs clear, engaging, humble, and positive communication about science, faith and their interactions – and the opportunities are many. Preaching, teaching, hands-on activity sessions, science demonstrations, radio or podcast interviews, blogs, books, articles… each of these carries its own opportunities and its own challenges. The aim of this course is to equip and inspire participants to engage meaningfully with a wide variety of audiences – with skill, confidence and fun!
What will the training include?
- Opportunities for you to practice and develop your presentation, interview, writing, and practical demonstration skills
- Exploration of current big questions within science and theology, with a main focus on Christianity
- Discussion of lessons learned by those working in science-faith outreach and dissemination
- Small group feedback sessions with expert science-faith communicators
In advance, all course participants will be asked to prepare a 10-minute presentation. During the course, you’ll also take part in practical science activities, a ‘Q&A’ panel and a practice radio/podcast interview.
What are we looking for in a participant?
- Interested in learning more about the big science-faith questions and how to communicate positively about them to a range of audiences.
- (Largely) have studied, or are studying, at undergraduate level or above in science, theology, or a relevant area.
- Enthusiastic about people and communication
- Ready to throw themselves in and give things a go!
Participants from previous courses have found this training to positively influence their research, writing, teaching, youth work, and other activities. Many have also been equipped and inspired to organise, present, and run science-faith sessions in their own varied contexts, and some have been invited to take part in events run by The Faraday Institute, God and the Big Bang and Christians in Science.
What will it cost?
We ask only that you cover the costs of your travel and honour our financial commitment by only applying for a place on the course if you fully intend to attend.
How do I apply?
Fill out the form below. Someone will be in touch after applications close to tell you whether your application has been successful.