Meric Srokosz is professor of physical oceanography at the National Oceanography Centre (NOC), Southampton (www.noc.ac.uk) and a former Associate Director of the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion (2012-2015). He obtained a Ph.D. in applied mathematics from Bristol University in 1980 on theoretical modelling of wave power devices. He subsequently worked at the Institute of Oceanographic Sciences, studying breaking waves. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, he spent some time with the British National Space Centre, working on remote sensing of the oceans. Since 1997 he has been based at NOC in Southampton and works on biological-physical interactions in the upper ocean (observations and modelling), remote sensing of the oceans, and waves. He has a particular interest in the Agulhas and Madagascar current system. In 2001 he became the Science Coordinator for the NERC Rapid Climate Change programme (www.rapid.ac.uk), which focuses on studying the role of the North Atlantic in possible future rapid changes in the climate. In 2005 he gained a B.A. in theology. With Rebecca Watson, he has published a book “Blue Planet, Blue God: the Bible and the Sea” (SCM, 2017)
Meric Srokosz serves on the national committee of Christians in Science (CiS) and is also a member of the local CiS committee in Southampton. In addition, he acts as the reviews editor for the CiS journal Science and Christian Belief.
Recent selected science publications
- Cattrell A.D., Srokosz M., Moat B.I. & Marsh R. 2019 Seasonal intensification and trends of rogue wave events on the US western seaboard, Nature Scientific Reports, 9:4461, doi:11038/s41598-019-41099-z
- Leighton T.G., Coles D.C., Srokosz M., White P.R. & Woolf D.K. 2018 Asymmetric transfer of CO2 across a broken sea surface, Nature Scientific Reports, 8:8301, doi:1038/s41598-018-25818-6
- Good P., Bamber J., Halladay K., Harper A., Jackson L., Kay G., Kruijt B., Lowe J.A., Phillips O., Ridley J., Srokosz M., Turley C. & Williamson P. 2018 Recent progress in understanding climate thresholds: ice sheets, the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation, tropical forests and responses to ocean acidification, Prog. Physical Geog. 42, 24-60, doi:10.1177/0309133317751843
- Foti G., Gommenginger C. & Srokosz M. 2017 First spaceborne GNSS-Reflectometry observations of hurricanes from the UK TechDemoSat-1 mission, Geophys. Res. Lett., 44, 12,358–12,366, doi: 1002/2017GL076166
- Robinson J., New A., Popova E., Srokosz M. & Yool A. 2017 Far-field connectivity of the UK’s four largest marine protected areas: Four of a kind? Earth’s Future, 5, 475-494, doi: 1002/2016EF000516
- van Gennip S., Martin A.P., Srokosz M.A., Allen J.T., Pidcock R. Painter S.C. & Stinchcombe M.C. 2016 Plankton Patchiness Investigated Using Simultaneous Nitrate And Chlorophyll Observations, Geophys. Res., 121, 4149-4156, doi:10.1002/2016JC011789
- Pidcock R.E., Martin A.P., Painter S.C., Allen J.T., Srokosz M.A., Forryan A., Stinchcombe M. & Smeed D.A. 2016 Quantifying mesoscale-driven nitrate supply: a case study, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 30, 1206-1223, doi:1002/2016GB005383
- Srokosz M.A. & Bryden H.L. 2015 Observing the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation yields a decade of inevitable surprises, Science, 348, 1255575, doi:10.1126/science.1255575
- Neale J., Harmon N. & Srokosz M. 2015 Source regions and reflection of infragravity waves offshore of the USA’s Pacific Northwest, J. Geophys. Res., 120, 6474-6491, doi:1002/2015JC010891
- Robinson J., Popova E.E., Yool A., Srokosz M., Lampitt R.S. & Blundell J.R. 2014 How deep is deep enough? Ocean iron fertilisation and carbon sequestration in the Southern Ocean, Geophys. Lett., 41, 2489-2495, doi: 0.1002/2013GL058799
Science and religion publications
- Srokosz M. & Watson R. S. 2017 Blue Planet, Blue God: The Bible and The Sea, SCM Press, London.
- Srokosz M. 2017 Miracles in Medicine – a brief response to Peter May, Science and Christian Belief, 29, 135-141.
- Srokosz M. & Sluka R.D. 2016 Creation care of the other 71%, Chapter 14 pp.225-2236 + Notes pp.346-348 in C. Bell & R.S. White (eds) Creation Care and the Gospel: Reconsidering the Mission of the Church, Hendrickson Publishers, Peabody, MA, 353pp.
- Srokosz M. & Kolstoe S. 2016 Animal suffering, the hard problem of consciousness, and a reflection on why we should treat animals well, Science and Christian Belief, 28, 3-19.
- Srokosz M. 2014 Geo-engineering or planet hacking? Perspec. Sci. Christian Faith, 66, 213-220.
- Srokosz M.A. 2013 ‘Humility: a neglected scientific virtue?’ Science and Christian Belief, 25, 101-112.
- Srokosz M.A. 2008 ‘God’s story and the Earth’s story: grounding our concern for the environment in the biblical metanarrative’ Science and Christian Belief, 20, 163-174.