John Hedley Brooke held the Andreas Idreos Professorship of Science and Religion and Directorship of the Ian Ramsey Centre at the University of Oxford from 1999 to 2006. He is an Emeritus Fellow of Harris Manchester College, Oxford.
A former Editor of the British Journal for the History of Science, he has been President of the British Society for the History of Science and of the Historical Section of the British Association for the Advancement of Science. In 1995, jointly with Professor Geoffrey Cantor, he gave the Gifford Lectures at the University of Glasgow.
He served as Director of the European Science Foundation’s Network on ‘Science and Human Values’ and was a founder member of the Oxford Centre for the Science of the Mind (2005-2007). He is currently President of the UK Forum for Science and Religion and is a former President, and Honorary Fellow, of the International Society for Science and Religion. After retiring in 2007 he became an emeritus fellow at Harris Manchester College, Oxford and a Distinguished Fellow of the Institute for Advanced Study, University of Durham. He is currently Visiting Professor in the School of Philosophy, Religious Studies and the History of Science, University of Leeds.
Selected Publications in Science and Religion
- Science and Religion: Some Historical Perspectives (Cambridge University Press, 1991), (Winner of the Watson Davis Prize of the History of Science Society and recently republished by CUP in its Canto Classics series, 2014)
- Thinking About Matter: Studies in the History of Chemical Philosophy (Ashgate, 1995)
- Reconstructing Nature: the Engagement of Science and Religion (T & T Clark, 1998; Oxford University Press, 2000) with Geoffrey Cantor.
- Science in Theistic Contexts: Cognitive Dimensions (Published as Osiris vol.16 by University of Chicago Press, 2001) Co-edited with Margaret Osler and Jitse Van der Meer.
- Heterodoxy in Early Modern Science and Religion, co-edited with Ian Maclean (Oxford University Press, 2005)
- Religious Values and the Rise of Science in Europe, co-edited with Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu (IRCICA Istanbul, 2005)
- Science and Religion around the World, co-edited with Ronald L. Numbers (Oxford University Press 2011)