Gerard Nienhuis has been Professor of Physics at Universiteit Leiden, The Netherlands, since 1986. He is also a former professor at Universiteit Utrecht (until 1991), and has worked at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1970-1971), and at the Université Paris-Nord (a number of brief visiting professorships). He has been a member of the Board of the Quantum Electronics and Optics Division of the European Physical Society (1994-2004), and a co-editor of European Physics Letters (1998-2003). His field of research is in atomic and optical physics, with an emphasis on quantum optics and quantum effects of the interaction between light and matter.
Recent Publications in Science and Religion
- Het Gezicht van de Wereld, Amsterdam, Buijten & Schipperheijn, 1995.
- Geloof in het Toeval, De Gids 159, 152, 1996.
- Het geloof zoekt, de wetenschap vindt, Radix 29, 182, 2003.
- Toeval en ontwerp, twee vreemde eenden, in En God Beschikte een Worm, red. C. Dekker, R. Meester en R. van Woudenberg, Kampen, Ten Have, 2006.
Recent Scientific Publications
- J. Visser, E.R. Eliel and G. Nienhuis, “Polarization entanglement in a crystal with threefold symmetry”, Phys. Rev. A 66, 0033814, 2002.
- A.V. Taichenachev, A.M. Tumaikin, V.I. Yudin and G. Nienhuis, “Steady state of atoms in a resonant field with elliptical polarization”, Phys. Rev. A 69 033410, 2004.
- H.L. Haroutyunyan and G. Nienhuis, “Phase dynamics of a multimode Bose condensate controlled by decay” Phys. Rev. A 69, 053621, 2004.
- J. Visser and G. Nienhuis, “Orbital angular momentum of general astigmatic modes”, Phys. Rev. A 70, 013809, 2004.
- S.S.R Oemrawsingh, A. Aiello, E.R. Eliel, G. Nienhuis and J.P. Woerdman, “How to observe high-dimensional two-photon entanglement with only two detectors”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 217901, 2004.
- J. Visser, N.J. Zelders and G. Nienhuis, “Wave description of geometric modes of a resonator”, J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 22, 1559, 2005.