Prof. Justus Piater is Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Liège, Belgium. After studying computer science at the University of Braunschweig and the University of Magdeburg, Germany, he was awarded a Fulbright graduate student fellowship and earned his doctorate at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA, followed by a European Marie-Curie postdoctoral fellowship at the Institut national de recherche en informatique et en automatique (INRIA), Rhône-Alpes, Grenoble, France. His research activities are in computer vision and machine learning. Besides classical questions in computer vision, much of his research is motivated by the concept of agents that use vision as a mode of perception in an interactive context. He is interested in the biology and psychology of perception as well as in artificial systems that learn to comprehend their environment through perception and interaction.
Prof. Piater is involved in the Wallonian chapter of IFES and helps organize ‘Carrefours’ dialogues on religious topics that include science and religion (http://www.carrefours.be/).
Recent science publications
- Justus Piater, Edward Riseman, Paul Utgoff, ‘Interactively Training Pixel Classifiers’, International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence 13 (2), pp. 171-194, 1999.
- Justus Piater, Roderic Grupen, ‘Constructive Feature Learning and the Development of Visual Expertise’, Proceedings of the Seventeenth International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 751-758, 2000.
- Jefferson Coelho, Justus Piater, Roderic Grupen, ‘Developing Haptic and Visual Perceptual Categories for Reaching and Grasping with a Humanoid Robot’, Robotics and Autonomous Systems 37 (2-3), pp. 195-218, 2001 (special issue on Humanoid Robots).
- James Crowley, Justus Piater, Markus Vincze, Lucas Paletta, eds., ‘Computer Vision Systems: Third International Conference, 2003 (April 1-3 2003, Graz, Austria)’, Springer LNCS 2626.
- Robert Platt, Oliver Brock, Andrew Fagg, Deepak Karuppiah, Michael Rosenstein, Jefferson Coelho, Manfred Huber, Justus Piater, David Wheeler, Roderic Grupen, ‘A Framework For Humanoid Control and Intelligence’, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Humanoid Robots, 2003.
- Raphaël Marée, Pierre Geurts, Justus Piater, Louis Wehenkel, ‘Random Subwindows for Robust Image Classification’, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 34-40, 2005.
- Fabien Scalzo, Justus Piater, ‘Statistical Learning of Visual Feature Hierarchies’, Proc. of the IEEE Workshop on Learning in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2005.
- Sébastien Jodogne, Fabien Scalzo, Justus Piater, ‘Task-Driven Learning of Spatial Combinations of Visual Features’, Proc. of the IEEE Workshop on Learning in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2005.
- Sébastien Jodogne, Justus Piater, ‘Interactive Learning of Mappings from Visual Percepts to Actions’, International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 393-400, 2005.
- Tom Mathes, Justus Piater, ‘Robust Non-Rigid Object Tracking Using Point Distribution Models’, British Machine Vision Conference, pp. 849-858, 2005.